The History of Calvary Chapel

“The Holy Spirit through the Word of God producing the Work of God”

About Calvary Chapel & Our Roots

In 1965, Pastor Chuck Smith began his ministry at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa with just twenty-five people. From the beginning, Pastor Chuck welcomed all, young and old, without judgment, placing his emphasis on the teaching of the Word of God. His simple, yet sound, expositional biblical approach has helped millions better understand God’s Word.

With a sincere concern for the lost, Pastor Chuck and Kay Smith made room in the church and their home for a generation of hippies and surfers; generating a movement of the Holy Spirit that spread throughout the world. 

Calvary Chapel has now grown into an international ministry of over 1600 fellowships throughout the world.

Share this Post

Calvary Chapel Magazine


01:40

The Power of Prayer

2 years ago

God answered the prayers of hundreds of thousands of Christians around the world when Pastor Saeed Abedini was released from prison....

Load More
Resources & Links